Technology and Innovation
Innovation and Technology are key drivers of competitive advantage and long-term success for companies in today’s global knowledge economy. Innovation is the process of translating an idea or invention into a good or service that creates value or for which customers will pay.
In business, innovation often results when ideas are applied by the company in order to further satisfy the needs and expectations of the customers. In a social context, innovation helps create new methods for alliance creation, joint venturing, flexible work hours, and creation of buyers' purchasing power.
Examples of Third Party Training Suppliers: Structured CPD
University College Dublin
The National Institute of Technology Management provides a range of Professional Development Programs, for example the Graduate Diploma in Technology and Innovation Management or the Masters Degree Programs in Innovation & Technology Management, to support technical entrepreneurs and professional managers in developing the skills and insights required to lead their companies to the international forefront.
Dublin Institute of Technology
MSc Technology and Innovation Management - This programme aims to meet an important skills gap identified in Irish industries, by providing opportunities for technology, science and engineering graduates to develop a broad set of business, management, innovation and commercialisation tools.
National University of Ireland Galway
Master of Science in Technology Management programme provides students with an insight into the role of technology management within the Irish and international economy.
Adult Continuing Education (ACE), University College Cork has a great selection of educational programmes to provide opportunities in lifelong learning for all adults irrespective of age and previous educational achievements.They have designed a series of CPD modules aimed at professionals working in the civil engineering and construction industry who wish to update their skills to match current trends in the field. With programmes such as Virtual Construction and Information Modelling and Retrieval you can keep up to date and develop your knowlegde around new innovative technologies.
DeepWater Training is an Innovation Management and Training company based in the ArcLabs Research and Innovation Centre in Waterford Institute of Technology, Ireland. They provide training such as “Managing the Innovation Process”.
Irish Management Institute
The IMI Diploma in Strategy & Innovation is designed to equip you to develop and execute a strategy and innovation process that is very relevant to both the success of your organisation and to your own career. You will learn the skills to lead, influence and participate in the strategic success of your organisation.
Waterford Institute of Technology
The Masters in Innovative Technology Engineering degree aims to produce graduates with strong skills in critical thinking and with a creative attitude necessary to instigate future developments in the field of Engineering Technology. The MSc in Innovative Technology Engineering programme is at NFQ Level 9 and has been designed to meet the accreditation standard of Engineers Ireland at Chartered level.
Dublin Institute of Technology
DIT offer a three-year part-time programme leading to a Level 6 Construction Technology Higher Certificate award. It is designed to meet the needs of the construction industry for technical staff that have a sound understanding of the principles of construction technology and management, together with a good appreciation of general management skills and of the economics of the industry.
- Xtratherm Interactive Centre
The Xtratherm exhibition space and Training academy has been developed to assist construction professionals in understanding the principles of specifying and achieving on-site, best practice insulation standards for new dwellings, commercial envelope solutions and refurbishment projects.
Xtratherm demonstrate how the targets set within the Fabric Energy Efficiency Standard (FEES) for Low and Zero Carbon Fabric/NZEB standards can be achieved using a variety of construction methods, at levels similiar to Passive Standards.
- Research, Development and Innovation at the Institutes of Technology - The Institutes of Technology have a long track record of delivering research, development, innovation and enterprise solutions to industry, ranging from multi-national companies to locally-based SMEs.
- The Chartered Institute of Building - The Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) and ITN Productions are producing a news and current affairs-style programme called “Building Tomorrow” which will look at & discuss the latest innovations in building and construction management. It will be aired in November 2015. The programme will then form part of an extensive online communications campaign which includes CIOB members as well as journalists, writers and bloggers.
- Directory of Research Centres and Technology Centres 2015 - The Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation (DJEI), Enterprise Ireland and other enterprise agencies including SFI and IDA Ireland have put together this directory the excellent research, innovation and technology transfer being carried out right across higher education institutions nationally.
- Enterprise Ireland - through a mix of funding, advice and expertise, Enterprise Ireland can help you to undertake R&D and increase the amount of innovation in your business. We can also help you source and license new technologies that could potentially transform your company.
- Inspirefest - Inspirefest 2017 is a two day international event that connects professionals interested in the future of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics with new perspectives on innovation, leadership and success. Dublin, 29th & 30th June 2017.
Unstructured CPD Resources
- The Institution of Engineering and Technology have some interesting articles & news items that relate to Technology & Innovation in the built environment industry.
- Construction 2020 A Strategy for a Renewed Construction Sector – This is the 2020 Strategy set out by the Government discussing a focussed programme of action to deliver a strong, sustainable, well-financed, competitive and innovative approach to construction and housing, building to the highest standards, at realistic levels and with consumer protection at its heart.
- Ireland's Construction Sector: Outlook and Strategic Plan to 2015 - In developing this strategy, Forfás has consulted extensively with the industry, construction sector representative bodies, the enterprise agencies, key government departments and bodies, and other stakeholders.
- Innovation: the Key to Business Success - This short free online course, which benefits from CPD accreditation, is designed for anyone interested in commercial innovation.
- Innovation Articles - Here you will find a selection of journal articles relating to Innovation
- Construction Business Owner - Here you will find a selection of journal articles relating to Technology
- Watch all IDA news and interviews concerning Innovation in Ireland here.